Happy almost Fall! This Friday kicks off the first day of Autumn and I could not be more excited for all things focused on this season including but not limited to chillier sweater weather, all the pumpkin spice flavored things (you know you love it), Halloween (one of my favorite holidays), and all the amazing Fall fashion (moody colors, scarves, hats, and leggings speak to me).
I'm not going to lie, I definitely indulged and treated myself one too many times this past Summer (I blame celebrating my birthday for an entire month - whoops), and definitely feel like I need to get my ass into gear before the holidays and all the yummy holiday food and drinks that come with it sneak up on us. I feel like the beginning of Fall is the perfect time to kickstart some healthy habits to carry on throughout the year and am going to commit to doing these easy things in my day to day. Scroll down for my top five self-care tips to kickstart a healthy Fall (or reverse all that rosé you drank this summer).
1. Make easy, low-carb meals: I love love love carbs, but they do not love me. As much as I love pasta, I'm going to hold it as a special dish to treat myself with. Luckily there are so many low-carb options that are just as good! Here's my shopping list to stick to low-carb:
- Trader Joe's Riced Cauliflower (Sautée with olive oil, chicken, garlic, your fav veggies - I use broccoli, shredded carrots, peas and zucchini, and then toss in scrambled egg and top with low-sodium soy sauce for a cauliflower "fried rice").
- Trader Joe's Frozen Cauliflower Pizza Crust (Bake and add pizza sauce, your fav toppings and a bit of low-fat mozzarella for guilt-free pizza).
- Trader Joe's Frozen Zucchini Spirals (Cook ground turkey with your favorite seasonings and add a marinara sauce - let this simmer and warm these zucchini noodles on the stove at the same time. Combine together for a pasta-free "spaghetti" dish. I like to add a sprinkle of parmesan and red chili flakes on top!)
- Trader Joe's Red Lentil Noodles (These noodles still contain carbs, but due to their high fiber content won't make you crash like white pasta and are protein-packed so this is a go-to for me post-workout. You can add ground turkey and your favorite sauce or toss with olive oil, salt and pepper).
2. Drink your collagen: Collagen supplements are so great for not only your hair, nails, skin but to restore your muscles post workout. I love this one from Vital Proteins - it's flavorless, blends well and I don't even notice it when I'm drinking it! I mix it in with my morning coffee or add it to my green smoothie after I get back from the gym.
3. Schedule your workouts: I hate working out sometimes but will admit I feel a million times better once I get it over with. I've noticed I tend to get off track with going to the gym when I don't have it scheduled out to go after the office. I always use the excuse that I don't have my workout attire with me! A helpful tip is to pack your gym bag and keep it in your car - I like to alternate going every other day to keep in a routine but not burn myself out.
4. Swap out the high-cal drinks: I'm a huge craft beer fan (give me all the IPA's), love a good fruity (and sugar-y) cocktail, and white wine is my jam BUT these are all so high in calories that a night out can set you back big time in terms of staying on track with being healthy. If you're going out - a vodka, soda water and lemon is a good low-cal option. If you are craving that high-cal beer or wine, have one glass as a treat instead of over-indulging or pick a night where you have this as your "cheat day" treat.
5. Take care of your skin: I've been trying to develop a good skin-care routine, and it's crazy how far a good toner or facemask can go in making your skin feel healthy and look glowing. Here are my fav skincare items at the moment:
- Peach Slices Face Masks: the 'brighten', 'calm', and 'firm' sheet masks are my go-to's and my skin feels amazing after - you can also find these at CVS (where I get mine)
- Murad hydrating toner: I use this as a daily toner first thing when I wake up, and last thing before I go to bed after washing my face. It makes my skin feel fresh and clean!
- Shiseido Power Infusing Concentrate: It's pricy but I feel like this stuff actually works - my skin will look awful at night, I'll put it on before bed and it looks like my skin got a facial when I wake up. Worth it.
I feel like these are all pretty easy tips to implement in your day to day - I've felt my absolute best incorporating these into my life in the past and that's why I'm all for getting back on track with this routine again. Take caring of myself to feel better is my goal this Fall! What about you guys?
P.S. This dress is on sale (YES!)