It's no secret that I have a bit of an attitude. I can be way too sassy and a smarta** for my own good sometimes. Sarcasm is just my sense of humor and it is all done in good fun. But what about those days where something bad happens; however major or minor, and life's not all sh**s and giggles? (excuse my French)
Those are the days I've noticed I can let a negative attitude consume me, no matter how much I'd like to deny it. Recently I underwent a not so pleasant experience in my personal life to say the least. I was so bitter and negative for a couple of weeks, I noticed I started getting terrible sleep, eating unhealthy meals more than I'd like to, not getting the most out of my daily gym sessions, and just overall feeling really fatigued and "over it" for lack of a better term. I think I finally had this wake-up moment where I thought to myself like "ok, I can continue being irritated about this situation that is in no way in my control to change; or, I can let go and focus on all the good and positives in my life".
And I consciously did exactly that. Let go of the B.S. in your life that consumes you with negativity/anxiety/whatever and focus on all the good life brings (I know, cheesy...but it's SO true you guys). I read a quote on Pinterest or Instagram once that went something like "life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it". This really resonated with me because your attitude really determines so much in life, and what's the point of having a negative attitude? It won't make you happier, and just eats away at you!
I put together five tips I use in my daily life to stay positive and focus on the good when life is just not going your way. Scroll down to read them!
1. Make a list. Sometimes when I feel like a negative situation is overwhelming me, I like to make a list of things I'm looking forward to (like a concert or upcoming trip), things to be grateful for (like my health and amazing friends and family), and things I can do that brighten my mood (like go to a workout class or layout at the beach with a good book).
2. Declutter. Whether that be your space by cleaning/organizing, your mind by going for a walk to reflect, or literally your life (cutting out toxic/negative people weighing you down is OK), I think decluttering is beneficial as it gives you a fresh outlook on life and contributes towards thinking positively.
3. Spend time with friends. I always get so busy in my day to day, between work, the gym, running errands, answering emails, etc. that I forget to just breathe and spend some quality time with friends which is such a mood lifter! Whether that be grabbing dinner/drinks or just hanging out and watching tv, I think surrounding yourself with your favorite people is SO important to creating positivity in your life.
4. Do something that improves you. Let me explain, you know how great it feels to accomplish that goal that you've been working towards, or completing a project you've been putting off? Do just that! For me, it's lately been running. I've been competing in races and signing up for fun 5Ks around town when I can. While I probably run around 8-10 miles a week on the treadmill at the gym, being able to complete a race is still a huge accomplishment for me and I love the positive feelings associated with it when I cross the finish line.
5. Laugh. Watch a funny comedy stand-up special on Netflix (just watched Ali Wong: Baby Cobra and laughed my a** off!), grab lunch with that one person you can always joke around with, or just scroll through some funny meme pages on Instagram. Whatever your choice is, I think laughter has the power to seriously be a mood booster and bring instant positivity to your day.